Friday, June 7, 2013

The canoe takes shape!

May 26, 2013
The epoxy dried and I was ready to stitch the canoe together. I cut about 100 6" pieces of #18 wire and used them to tie the canoe together. This worked well on the center seam where the holes I drilled matched up nicely. On the side seams my holes were off by about an inch and the fit wasn't as good. I kept the wire ties loose at this point. Before tightening them down, I need to make sure the hull is straight.






















I added spreaders to the two halves of the hull to give them a temporary shape. The boards are really flexed being in that shape and adding the spreaders caused some minor cracking. I'm not too worried however, as adding the fiberglass should solidify and seal the final hull.

It's starting to look like canoe! Putting the two ends next to each other was satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers