Monday, September 30, 2013

Finishing the inside seams


I spent a lot of time working on the inside seams. Mostly because I was busy with other things, but also because I didn't want the epoxy to run too much. So, I would tilt the canoe to the side I was working on so that any epoxy would run into the seam. At left, you can see a close up of the seam filler, which is epoxy and wood flour. I referred to it as 'baby poop', but it's consistency was more like chunky peanut butter.


Despite my hard efforts to be gentle with the canoe, my roommate decided trip over something and test the hulls structural capabilities. The hull failed the test. I patched the ~20" crack with a strip of fiberglass cloth and epoxy, but I'm not sure how well I did. Hopefully the fiberglass cloth laid on the outside will be enough. I am a bit worried about bubbles of air in the cloth leading to leaks.

I finished the inside seams. The color difference in the main seam is due to a change in wood flour. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but now my canoe is not symmetrical, so it should be easier keeping track of which way is front. Although I haven't yet decided which is the front.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers